Monday 13 June 2011

22 The Breakfast Club

Right then, here we go...


I rented The Breakfast Club from iTunes for £2.95. It's valid for 30 days but once you start watching you have to watch it within 48 hours. I thought this was a good idea because I have a tendency to start a film, pause it while I make a coffee or go to the loo, and then never press play again and put something else on. Now that I'm spending my hard-earned cash it's a whole different kettle of fish.

Do we all know the plot for The Breakfast Club? Five teens (Jock, Stoner, Weird, Princess, Geek) end up in detention on Saturday for reasons that we do not find out until later in the film. In the end they realise that despite being from different social backgrounds and hanging around in different cliques at school they're actually pretty similar. Aahhhhhhh.


My thoughts? It was alright. Felt like a lot of it was just recycling the material throughout the 90 minutes. Fender would get angry, Claire would tell him to shut up, Fender would call her a bitch, Andy would tell him to leave her alone - rinse and repeat as required. By far my favourite character was Brian, he very much brought the humour to the library table. When they got the weed out of Fender's locker and he turned to the weird girl (whose name I forget, gosh, am Claire?!) and said "do you approve of this?" in a manner that was just funny. Made me chuckle. If I'm honest, I don't really have much more to say for it than that. The tunes that played throughout were classic, and I now get the relevance of Simple Minds "Don't You Forget About Me" in all those coming of age American teen movies such as American Pie and - not a movie but - an episode of Family Guy when Peter goes undercover at Meg's school. I think my final point will be the library. Oh my God, what a library!! I think I'd have been a harder worker if I could have spent my time in one like that, advanced beyond its years. And, had an a/c system that somehow filtered out the smell of weed instantaneously. Not that I smoke weed, or have, but if I did, I would be doing it in that library. 


So, not the best review in the world but hey, I never claimed to be Barry Norman did I?

No comments:

Post a Comment