Monday 20 June 2011

42 Blue Velvet (v 2.0)

I went in blind on this one. The only thing I knew about it was that Bobby Vinton sang the title song. I love that song. I remember it was on my brother's "This Is Cult Fiction" album that I tried on numerous occasions to steal but have to this day been unsuccessful. Now, whenever it comes on my iPod I have a sway to it whether my location be private or public. Hell, I'm swaying right now. 


Into the plot. Very dark. And another confusingly attractive young actor, Kyle MacLachlan - honestly both he and Robert De Niro have never done anything for me but both have appealed in their earlier films. It's a mystery film which begins with Kyle (can't remember character name, maybe Geoffrey?) finds a severed ear in a field. He bags it and proudly delivers it to the local detective. I think he'd have preferred a nice Sub of the Day but pah, beggars can't be choosers. Young Kyle decides to play detective along with the detectives retro-haired daughter, Sandy. 

All sounds pretty tame but then Dennis Hopper and Isabella Rosellini got involved in things. He's a mental masochist and she's nothing short of a psychologist's wet dream. Even her interpretation of the word "Velvet" in Blue Velvet is crazy. Vel-veeeet. All about the "e" at the end. I'd say it more with a short "i" sound. Like pit but velvit. Geddit? Anyway, that annoyed me. Fortunately her "singing" was intermittent. How many " " have gone into this paragraph? "Pheweeee". 

While we're on music, there's a wonderfully bizarre scene with Roy Orbison's "In Dreams". Beautiful song and I was delighted to find this in my iTunes - god bless my dad's love for Roy making into my collection. This seems to be Dennis Hopper's trigger, sending him into a depressive rage, if there is such a thing. 


Great film. It definitely had a tension about it, I was on edge on many occasions throughout. My first liaison with David Lynch too, I've seen a bit of Mulholland Drive but in typical fashion I haven't seen all of it. Gar! I will now though, at some point in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment